If you’re developing a mobile application, DevOps processes are the key to a successful project. Mobile development is often more difficult and complex than traditional software product development – but with DevOps, you can overcome common challenges and streamline the development process. How? Find out in this blog now.
Mobile Development Is Different Than Traditional Product Development
There are several unique challenges that make mobile development difficult, particularly if you primarily have focused on desktop software development in the past.
- Mobile apps need faster iteration – Mobile users often rate apps much more highly if they are frequently-updated to deal with bugs, errors, and usability issues.
- Mobile UX is less forgiving – A poor user experience (UX) can turn users away from an app right away. 94% of the factors that affect a user’s first impression of an app are related to UX and usability.
- Mobile app development tools are always in flux – The toolset used for mobile app development is always changing and evolving – and new tools are constantly introduced for testing, production, deployment, performance monitoring, and more.
- Mobile platforms are often more fragmented – Both Android and iOS have different versions, release dates, version support, and phone designs that can affect software performance. This makes it more challenging to provide a unified, consistent experience for all users of a mobile application.
How DevOps Helps With Mobile Development
With the above challenges in mind, let’s take a look at how DevOps can help improve mobile development, and streamline the development process.
- Faster deployment – DevOps focuses on unifying development, testing, and product support, resulting in a shorter overall product lifecycle, and allowing for the faster deployment of software versions.
- Simplified pre-production testing – Because there is less room for error in mobile UX, DevOps is critical. Focusing on pre-production tests and closely monitoring app performance with instant reports and feedback allows developers and QA professionals to work together closely – and eliminate major UX flaws before each version of your product is released to the public.
- Automating manual tasks & tracking code across multiple platforms – Mobile DevOps best practices can help eliminate manual work in many environments, replacing it with automation. In addition, proper tracking of tools, development environments, code, configurations, and scripts help with version control, and ensures that the development process is trackable.Not only does this help streamline the process of onboarding new teams and developers, but it also frees up more resources on your existing team – allowing them to focus more heavily on app development, rather than navigating the complexities of using multiple development platforms.
- Rapid testing enhances user experience – DevOps is one of the best ways to improve testing, by enhancing collaboration between developers and testing professionals. With rapid testing, issues related to fragmented mobile platforms can be addressed more efficiently – using tools like multiple simulators, real device testing, and parallel testing across multiple OS versions.
Enhance Your Mobile Product Development With DevOps
Developing for mobile may be uniquely challenging – but DevOps can address these challenges, and ensure that your team overcomes them and can provide your customers with a high-quality end product.
So start thinking about how you can integrate DevOps strategies, culture, and tools into your development team, and you’re sure to improve and streamline your app development process.